Pages

Sunday, April 2, 2017

RF Summative

Enjoy this excellent piece from Sara. How does yours compare?

Two Piece

The big bright dressing room screaming summer made my heart start to pound.  I looked down at the small chair next to me, but shook my head and pushed myself to just stand. I snatched the crumbled invitation out of my pocket. I un-crumbled the frail paper, and I examined it, my heart beating, my stomach rumbling, and my head spinning. I looked back and forth from the pool party themed invitation to the large mirror right in front of me. I pictured all the girls with the perfect bodies and cute swimsuits. Was my body good enough to go? Do I even come close to meeting their “pretty girl, skinny body” expectations? Maybe. Then, I remembered how the pool party was next week and I could quickly get ready. I chuckled in my head as if there was even a reason I would not go. Then, I peered my head out from the white thin curtain and through the store door. I saw Eden, my best friend, walking towards the store with her starbucks cup. She waves at me, and I wave back looking at myself through the glass door. I quickly turn away and proceed looking through the swimsuits I’ve picked out.
Eden and I have been best friends for a long time. Back when we were two little girls who had no cares in the world other than who got to use the pretty barbie, with the long legs and small waist. The pretty one. We would always steal our mom's makeup and heels from their rooms and put on our nicest dresses. We would go into my bathroom, and look into the  big long mirror, and we would laugh. We smiled, danced, sang, posed like the models we thought we were, and overall, we loved ourselves. One time, back when we were 9, we got all dressed up, hair, makeup, nails, and all. I was wearing one of my oldest dresses, but my favorite. It was a little tight around the waist, size 10, but I still pulled it off.
“You look beautiful,” Eden said, proud for being my friend. I looked in the mirror, and my face lit up, and not because of all that foundation I put on. I really did look beautiful, I really did.
She ran up to me and gave me a hug. Her arms wrapped around me all the way, with even more room. I hugged her back, but my arms did not wrap with space.
“Oh my! Brooke, these bikinis are so cute,” she said jumping up and down examining the swimwear, “I better give you some time to try these on! I will be outside just tell me if you need anything.”
After she left, I grabbed the first swimsuit off of the hanger. It was size XS to fit the physique I have worked so hard for. I easily slipped it onto my body with no problems at all. I glanced in the mirror to see my ribcage popping out from my skin. On top of my disgusting boney shoulders, were the straps of the swimsuit. My eyes moved towards the end of the bikini top to find a complete open layer between the rim of the bikini and my body. The bottoms I tried on kept slipping down as I constantly pull them back up. It was to big.
“Hey Eden,” I call out from the other side of the curtain, “uh, I need a smaller size I think.”
“An extra small is the smallest size they have,” she paused for a short minute, “Oh wait! They have a kids section, I will be right back.”
My head fell deep into my tiny hands and stayed there until she came back with the large selection of kids swimwear. I hadn’t shopped in the children's section of a store since I was 12, 5 years ago. I examined the flower and tribal printed bikinis, and I thought I might as well just give it a try. I grabbed one of the flower bikinis and slid it on. My physique was still small and bony, but the suit fit perfectly. I reached in the back to check the size. Size 10. I looked back into the mirror, and I noticed one of the lights in the dressing room had turned off, making it harder to see. I managed with the other one light to examine my suit. Disappointed in my lack of progress in the last few weeks I rolled my eyes in the mirror. Do I look at my ribs or the unnecessary layer of skin around it? At this point, I don’t even know.
“Hey B, how is it going in there,” I heard from right outside the dressing room.
“Oh, um, ya I think I am going to get this one for now,” I said back hesitantly.
“Let me come in and see,” she says tugging at the curtain. I quickly grap the other end and keep her from opening it, my face red, my heart fast. I push and push harder.
“What’s going on?,” she questions.
“Um, I like, um,” I panicked to think of an excuse, “I have already started changing and took my bikini off.” I looked in the mirror and shook my head at myself through my reflection.
“Oh my gosh! I do not know what I was thinking, I am so so sorry!,” she started, “How about I will go pay.”
I handed her the swimsuit, and she ran to the cashier line. I put on my baggy sweatshirt and long pants  to stop the freezing cold air conditioning the store provides. I started to walk out of the dressing room, but I turned and looked back one more time.  I shake my head unaware of what to think of myself. I quickly exit before any more thoughts of doubt entered my mind.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...