Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Anne Frank + Southeast Region Narrative

Check out the link below to recap the video from today's session on Anne Frank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um3umnwgK3k
Will your narrative poem capture the emotion of  your event?


Enjoy Nick's Southeast region narrative below

From the marble-cutting mill, to the canal-navigation plane, and my most prized accomplishment, the “Clermont,” I have certainly come a far way in life. At the age of thirty-five in 1800, I thought that accomplishing everything in life was already complete. That was true until “Clermont,” my first successful steamboat, was created. By the way, my name is my name is Robert Fulton, the inventor. In 1793, I concentrated on steam navigation. Writing books on canal navigation was my occupation in 1796. Seven years later, the idea of inventing what eventually became the steamboat came into my mind. My first attempt at launching a steamboat with the support of Chancellor Livingston was on the Seine, a very large river between two parts of France, was not entirely successful. The boat immediately collapsed and plummeted to the bottom of the river like sand through an hourglass. Red in the face, I watched the horror of the boat tumble to the floor of the river. The odor of the oil burning in the air with the rest of the ship was a sure indication of the devastating moment, and from Livingston’s panicky expression, it was obvious he felt like me at the time. Despite this horrible failure, I had to persevere.



In 1807, I decided it would be the right choice to design a new steamboat. Newer wooden planks, a better engine, and a new supply of oil were essential to the ship’s success. My speedy hands began to assemble the components of the unfinished steamboat. After a while, my hands were still, the steamboat was unfinished, and my mind was nothing but a swirl of uncomfortable confusion. There was no Chancellor Livingston to assist me this time. Ten months later, my masterpiece was finished. Looking back at the steamboat reminded me of the sweat trickling down my back as I diligently finished the ship. I thought to myself, what name would suit my steamboat the best? My sister’s name is Clara, and my dog’s name is Monty, so what if those names blended together? That was it. The name would be “Clermont.”


Two tan transferors on a barge, Jim and Charles, transferred “Clermont” all the way from Pennsylvania to the Hudson elegantly like a feather scraping the top of the water. My goal was to chug “Clermont” all the way from the Hudson to Albany, New York. It was going to take approximately thirty hours. By the time I reached the Hudson, my feet climbed onto the wooden boards of the “Clermont.” Nervously, my sweaty hands grabbed the wheel of the boat.


The “Clermont” pushed off of the dock. The paddle of the bolt jolted forward as the “Clermont” came to life in only a quick moment of time. The engine roared as the steam whistled. Proud as a peacock, my head stuck out of the window to take in the crisp, New York air and the smell of steam and oil from the “Clermont.” The crowd was encouraging me to go on right before the steamboat left the colossal river of New York.


No longer in the Hudson, “Clermont” chugged its way towards Albany. The steamboat finally reached its destination. The crowd roared with excitement, and history knew that every bit of this moment would be savored into educational textbooks for the rest of time.























31 comments:

Beck said...

Nick your piece of writing is AMAZING!!! theres so much description!

mr. Buxton is it ok to make up stuff about Doctor Peter Burton from our power plan?????

Unknown said...

just very simple bits of info for context- don't go OTT

Sophie Hardy said...

is that video the same one that we watched in class

Sophie Hardy said...

what is are since HW

Shaw Sullivan said...

Okay just to be clear what is our homework? Do we have to make a poem? Please help!!!!

martha said...

good question shaw i am really confused to. I think that we only have to get facts for our poem and we have to finish our power plan?

Thomas Layton said...

yes Martha Wright

and Sophie, the only science HW is to work on our project

martha said...

thank you thomas

Gauruv Singh said...

I think that Nick's piece of work was Great because he had great description, and gave specific details as to who what where why and when was took place in the story. GREAT job nick !

Lilly said...

I liked Nicks piece of writing because of all his detailed description!!!!

Lilly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas Layton said...

Nick Q's writing was very descriptave and specific. i liked his use of the "from to and and" to open his writing, it really hooked me Nick! Also good use of apposatives. FANTASTIC WORK NICK!

Gauruv Singh said...

The video that Mr. Buxton posted was thought- provoking and interesting. It made you think about times back then, and the cruelty of the people who caused one of the biggest human destructions in the world. The truth is, that people still commit such crimes in the world even today. From concentration camps, to lots of killings, the Nazis annihilated millions of Jews. I have read a book called " I am David", and it also talks about the atrocities committed against the Jews.

Anonymous said...

From Sentence Fluency, to appasatives, and description, Nick did a great job on his writing

Anonymous said...

Hey, eberybody. I'm raeally confused about the "facts from the poem" part. Is that just that world event thing?

Anonymous said...

what i meant was the facts from the world event you choose.
eg. Hindenburg Explosion

Anonymous said...

thanks for the compliments

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas Layton said...

Nick, all you do is reaserch your world event and bring your reaserch in tomarrow

Anonymous said...

I didn't meant to say "raelly" in my first comment.
what i meant to say was "really."

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Thomas!

kennedy said...

Kennedy- to we have to type our poems on our world events? Please help.

Lauren said...

would it be ok if i had the first stansa be three lines and a nother stansa be 5 lines?

kennedy said...

Kennedy- As long as you do 3 lines 5 lines repeating every other time

Lilly said...

do we have to type our poems?????

Wyatt N said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

can anyone help me improve on this

The race to space

smoke bombarding the launch pad

a space rocket full of anticipation

nine men that realize their chances

while there shooting up like a rocket



With the humongous planet in sight

astronauts were dancing merrily

moving different ways to get their suits on

while everybody had smiles on their faces



As Neil Armstrong leaps on the moon

the nation is by his very side

with the flag perched in his hand

It makes America proud



as the go back in the space rocket

they have a memory full of sights

while they rapidly shoot back to home

they are ready to be asked millions of questions

Anonymous said...

Kennedy and Lilly, You don't have to type your peoms, but you can if you want to.

Lilly said...

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

kennedy said...

Kennedy- thank you so much Bennett.

Anonymous said...

Nick, I learned a lot from your writing and I love how you made it descriptive too!!!


I WISH I WAS IN 5TH GRADE !!!!!!!!!!!!

From Cover (Paige)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...