Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Brag Sheet -Descriptive Narratives

Read these narratives below. They were chosen to be displayed because they contained clear sensory descriptions of  places in the story. Can you replicate this writng in Friday's assignment? Feel free to comment.

Walker Mountain


By Ansley

The comforting songs of the bluebirds and the vicious howling of nearby dogs filled my ears when I first stepped foot on Walker Mountain in Valle Crucis. A shimmering pond lay obediently at my feet like a king’s cocker spaniel. Fanned out bundles of oak leaves violently swayed above my head as if in a hurricane. The dazzling mountains glowed under the leader of the universe’s gaze. Crackling pine needles crunched softly under my warm bare feet. Walker Mountain felt like my new home, safe and cozy.

Once I was inside the rectangular, little house a bubbly feeling crawled up my spine that made me feel like I was on top of the world. The smooth, waxy maple floor slid under my feet like Michelle Kwan’s Olympic skates on the slippery ice. A delightful scent of pine wood drifted up my nostrils. The bright, glaring sun shone down onto the peaceful house releasing a forcefield to protect my family and my friends from any danger that might knock on our door. When we finally put our tired minds at rest after the last embers of the campfire had died down, the glowing moon and the twinkling stars watched over us like angels looking after their loved ones. As soon as I had strolled into the well-kept house, I knew it would be hard to leave it behind.

Sailing down the everlasting mound of lime grass, my chocolate hair whipped in my face covering up my bright blue eyes. The brilliant, red sled turned the corner and soared down the hill. My New Balance shoes screeched to a halt, and I flipped off the sled, tumbling the rest of the way down the grass. Tall trees were hurt after I had accidentally slammed into them. Never ending laughter, from my friends, echoed in my ears, for they had injured trees as well. Bogey, Mary and Kate’s yellow lab,   continued...





 The Time I Went To Ben And Jerry’s    
by Hannah
As I trudged in, I could smell a scent of sweet vanilla ice cream traveling up my nostrils. People were cluttered throughout the parlor. A soft breeze blew in my face as the glass door slammed shut. Marshall, my older brother, was chatting with my mom about the first day of 10th grade. After hearing the blabbering of Marshall and my mom for five minutes, we finally swayed up to the sparkling counter. The generous lady at the front counter had a tie-die shirt on that said Ben + Jerry’s in big, bold letters. The walls around her had cows on them everywhere I turned. I thought as if I were at a farm. I excitedly ordered my favorite ice cream, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and plopped myself down at a shining table. As I dropped down, I glimpsed at my mom and Marshall paying for her ice cream, his ice cream, and my ice cream. When I scooped ice cream into my mouth, I suddenly felt like I was in heaven. The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough melted on my tongue as if it were a snowflake that had fallen from the sky. I took another bite, and it danced in my mouth as I swallowed the tasty treat. A massive smile came upon my face when the creamy, sweet goodness shot down my throat. Strutting the out glass door, I still could taste that outstanding taste of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. To feel that magnificent taste was like going to NYC for the first time. The scent of the sweet Vanilla Ice Cream and the tasty Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough faded away as I pranced out of the building.


Petit Saint Vincent Boat Ride
by Maddie

As the cool summer wind whipped my tangled, wet hair, and the salty Caribbean water splashed my face, I knew this was a time to remember. The inner-tube swung back and forth as the small boat tugged Tyler, me, and my friend, Anabell through the rapid waves. White wave trails followed the boat through the open waters as we had yelled, “Faster! Faster!”. A shiver declined down my back as the cold breeze howled in my ear. Suddenly, the inner- tube’s stiff, braided rope crossed with another boat’s anchor, and the ride took a turn for the worst. My clammy hands clung tightly to the rubber handle; however, my brother, Tyler,had let his hands slipped off. My eyes closed tightly in fright of what might happen next as Tyler crashed into the stern of another boat. I gasped for air, because I had been enclosed underneath the inner-tube after it had flipped. From Tyler hitting is back on a boat, to me running out of breath, I would remember that moment for a lifetime.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Job Hannah!! That was awesome sensory and figurative language!! In the noun song do we need to put an example without like in the noun booklet?
Abigail

Juliana said...

mr b do i have any homework i need to do?

-juliana

Anonymous said...

For the new narritive, do we have to write about ourselves?

Paige

Sarah N. said...

Great Job Maddie and Hannah, Is the nouns test open book?

Juliana said...

what narrative is everyone talking about! i wasn't at school today, remember?

-juliana

Anonymous said...

Juliana,
We have to finish our noun booklet and do spelling and you can start to study for the nouns test. Some of the other stuff I think he will tell you about tomorrow or tell you on the blog. Feel better Juliana
Sarah,
The nouns test is not open book!! That is important!!
Paige,
If you are talking about the abstract noun narrative, you are not supposed to do it about yourself. It is supposed to be a made up story.
Abigail

Juliana said...

thank you:)

-juliana

Anonymous said...

thanks Abigail
Paige

Anonymous said...

Your welcome

Anonymous said...

Do we need to put a title for noun song
Abigail

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
®¥@₦ $. said...

do we only have to do the workbook?

RyAn S.

Hayden said...

what workbook?
~hayden

®¥@₦ $. said...

is l a proper noun?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,;;;;;;;...........

®¥@₦ $. said...

i ment I not l


RyAn S.

®¥@₦ $. said...

the noun workbooklet


RyAn S.

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
Yes

Unknown said...

hey guys. I was wondering about the project for science...the ocean zones project...remember...anyway...my question was this. What is the topic we have to wright about for the writting for the ocean zones project? Hope you can answer
MC Beecy

Unknown said...

Abigal, we are sopose to put a title for the noun song, it's in the wilf

Sabrina

Unknown said...

Abigal, we do need a title for the noun song

Unknown said...

Sorry I printed it twice

Unknown said...

Abbie-yes we have to put a title for our nouns-social studies sonng. We also need all the 7 rules of nouns. You will find the rules in your nouns workbook that you did your homework in...I hope...Just Kidding.
HAPPY HOMEWORK

Beecy

Unknown said...

Also you have to lable the non rules.

Unknown said...

I meant noun rules sorry

Juliana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juliana said...

mr b, on the homework you gave me it said, " try to write a sentence on the back of each card about the midwest that does what it said on the card (choose just ten cards). " i am not very positive what that meant. what cards? what do you mean when you say that does what it says on the card. again, what card are you talking about?

-juliana

Juliana said...

isn't a plural possessive when you have a plural noun and you are making it possessive?

-juliana

Hayden said...

yes
~hayden

Mary Grace Parker said...

GREAT job guys!! Maddie, your story was so engaging and had great descriptive words.

- Mary Grace

Juliana said...

thanks hayden because i was just checking!

-juliana

Maddie Weber said...

Thanks Mary Grace!!!!

Maddie

Mary Grace Parker said...

Your welcome. My favorite line was:
As the cool summer wind whipped my tangled, wet hair, and the salty Caribbean water splashed my face, I knew this was a time to remember.

I really like the tangled hair part. I can ***FEEL**** the wind and the water. Great job.

You too Hannah and Ansley!

- M.G.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...