Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Setnence Fluency Test Practice

Next Fridaty's test is OPEN BOOK and OPEN NOTES. You may bring ANYTHING you create into the test room with you. The trick is studying 'smart' and looking for the red flags that give you the clues to the answer
e.g. what words do you need to be highlighting if you are trying to decide whether something is compound or complex?
e.g. what's the difference between a semi colon and a comma?
e.g what are the four charateristics of both compound and complex sentences?
e.g. how can you learn from the mistakes you made in your worksheets?
 You are expected to spend about 10 mins every night next week practicing these exercises and playing these games below.

http://www.csus.edu/owl/index/sent/clause_quiz.htm
compound and complex sentences







Fused and Comma Splice
http://www.quia.com/quiz/299540.html (ignore question 13 and 16)

http://www.quia.com/rr/126726.html
http://www.quia.com/quiz/815621.html?AP_rand=60951870

19 comments:

adit said...

Mr. Buxton can you put something on the blog about clauses. Something we can practice on.

Unknown said...

first exercise is on phrases and clauses; also, look at last Thursday's post on this topic

Catie Nelson said...

Mr. Buxton,
When I finish my skit should I bold the compound, complex ect. sentences? I know we need to do that for our vocabulary words. Thank You!

Lauren said...

yes catie you have to do that

Anonymous said...

Is our power plan write up due tomorrow??

kennedy said...

kennedy- All of these exercises helped me a lot, and I know on Friday I will be ready for the test. I also just watched the movie on the top of your page and that helps me a lot too.

kennedy said...

kennedy- All of these exercises helped me a lot, and I know on Friday I will be ready for the test. I also just watched the movie on the top of your page and that helps me a lot too.

Beck said...

Those websites help a lot, and now I understand IC an DC a lot more.

martha said...

bennett, the write up is due on Thursday.

Matigan said...

Mr. Buxton,You spelled Sentence wrong and Friday's wrong on the blog for today. You spelled Sentence,S e t n e n c e and you spelled Friday's,F r i d a t y ' s. Just thought I'd tell you.

Unknown said...

+1 Matigan for being observant!

Bekah said...

Mr.Buxton i really dont get what a predicate is can you explain that to me and will it be included in the test? :)

Bekah said...

Mr. Buxton lots of these excersises confused me it showed me i need extra practice!

Andrew Egge said...

The video content was what we did last year: Jamestown!! I've noticed lots of words have common latin roots, for example, mem: memento, memo, memory, member, remember, memorize, COOL!!

Andrew Egge said...

on 1 of the websites they forgot to put in commas before the FANBOYS!AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! Also, on one of them, there was something about complete subjects and complete predicates that we have not gone over in class, but I still did it and got them all right! WOOOHHHHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Unknown said...

mr buxton did i miss any important notes today or yesterday?

Anonymous said...

Do we have to do our power plans in the 3 colors???

Anonymous said...

I thought that the speech today was interesting. It also said alot about the econimic systems today. Finally he had different stories to explian his point. Overall, I liked the speech

Beck said...

some of these test websites are hard, like the last one

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...