Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Weekly Reflection

Emotions database

Dinner Conversation
In the second semester, it is hoped that you begin to have academic conversations with your parents about your learning over each weekend. The way this works is simple. I give you a list of topics that we have covered in the week, and you  encourage your parents to ask you questions about these topics:

List of topics we have covered this week:
  • Ways to improve word choice in writing
  • What is good diction
  • The difference between connotation and denotation
  • Meanings hidden in the poem, "Do not go gentle into that good night"
  • Protocols for interpreting poetry
  • Video Reading Responses
  • Membean words that you are learning
  • Turning prose (your article) into poetry (your poem) - Your poetic moves
A conversation might go like this:
Mum ask me about to talk about the themes in the book I am reading at the moment
or
Dad, ask me about the difference between connotation and denotation with an example
or
Dad, did you know that there are six ways that a writer can improve word choice: There are...
or
Mum, ask me a question about any of these topics we've covered (show them the list)

This is optional but encouraged - When you can talk about what you are learning, you are really learning! - Plus points (plural) for students who share a sample of their conversations with their parents on the blog.


Next Week
Monday:  (E/F & C/D classes only) Poetry Interpretation - You will be given about 45mins of class time to write your interpretation of ONE of these three pieces of poetry below. Any notes you prepare on one of the poems, you can use in class.

I know Why the Caged Bird Sings
I am A Rock
Where the Sidewalk Ends

You will be expected to follow your 'poetry reading protocol' and write an analysis/interpretation of one of these poems. Look at the categories in your protocol to decide the things that you might want to write about.

Tuesday
Grammar: Purposeful 'detailed' writing
Writing: Slam Poetry

Wednesday
Membean: Share your learning day+Quizlet
Reading: Figurative Language

Thursday
Grammar: Writing Details in color
Poetry Writing: See Think Wonder

Friday
Membean Assessment Day
Reading: Symbolism in poetry


Ready to 'slam' some poetry next week?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just talking about a comment in an article with my mom a moment ago, and this is what I said, "This is a very refined article. Do you consent with me." The last sentence I am not entirely sure if I said it grammatically correct, but at least I tried.

Anonymous said...

Nice Job Jessie!
I really like that idea of printing out the page and having our parents ask us about things. I kind of did it in a different way but with the same idea. Have a nice weekend!!

Unknown said...

'Consent ' not correct in that context, but you are right, you are trying - that's all the matters!

Anonymous said...

What's the poetry reading protocol?

Anonymous said...

I think that it is saying how to interpret poetry. Remember how we did those steps and then we practiced in groups?

Anonymous said...

Do we have to be done with our book to do the book review video? Because in class I heard that we didn't have to be done with it, but on the rubric it says we do have to be done with it.

Anonymous said...

No Teagan, It is due the 29th Of January

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...