Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Writing Craft

Possible craft moves. What are you missing? Doing too much/not enough of?


  • Inner thinking
  • Action
  • Setting descriptions
  • background/context
  • Dialogue
  • Time shift
  • Objects
  • word choice/imagery
  • figurative language, allusions, and symbolism
  • Emotions
  • analysis of situation
  • character descriptions
  • location/movement/position/direction

Color code your writing based on the ideas above


Lesson Recap This is 5 mins, but completely explains all you need to know about conjunctive adverbs usage.
These are sophisticated words that you should begin to integrate naturally into your own writing


 Today, we looked at classifying the sentences we write in our writing by 'writing craft.'  What are you using a lot of? What do you need to add? Do your scenes contain enough variety?



In tomorrow's book club, your team will be talking about a moment in the story where something really important happened. Make sure your team knows exactly what part of the story you want to discuss. It should be a short scene (- approx. 1 page to a couple of  pages.)

Coming next week
In class simple and compound sentence writing exercise!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That video makes so much sense to me. The grammar class did. Today was a really interesting class. I understand lots of different things now.

Anonymous said...

Quick question. What would be good things to do for homework?

Anonymous said...

Membean, Grammar excerises, scene stuff like that

Anonymous said...

And reading your Book Club book. Another good thing would be to work on the piece of writing that he will grade next week. I didn't read my book club book for a while; consequently, I had to cram in about 100 pages before class started! (See what I did there!?!?)

Anonymous said...

NIce Jackson :D
Applying what we learned in class to a blog comment :)

Unknown said...

You already did something!

+1 Jackson ...Bravo!

Anonymous said...

I like to run; however, I don't run when it is cold.

Anonymous said...

Well Im not sure if this counts ( I'm in G/H) butI read) my lit circle book and I also read this blog! Since I had math test prep going I didn't do much but I studied and wrote more about my scene. So I think it count as HomeWork I guess. Oh and today lesson was really great because I learnt more about my skills and how to really describe things. I think I'm getting sense of symbolism as well. Thank you Mr.B!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...