Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Counterargument

Reminder: In class tomorrow (TUE), we will visit the I.S. Book Fair. Bring some cash along with you to spend at the Fair!

Use these steps to build your counterargument:



Thesis/Claim
Even though advocates of advertising on T.V. might argue that this bustling industry supports the U.S. economy through the creation of 1 million jobs each year, a law should still exist that prohibits television commercials targeting young children. School aged children are exposed to inappropriate content, unhealthy foods and are often manipulated into situations where actual bodily harm occurs as a directly result of the products pitched to them in their living rooms.Mentor Text:

Can you spot the steps below that build the counterargument


Proponents of the current status quo on advertising argue quite loudly that this industry creates over 10million jobs across the nation. Effective advertising leads to profitable  businesses; profitable businesses lead to more jobs, and more jobs lead to  a healthy successful economy. However, do the benefits outweigh the pitfalls? The APA estimates that advertisers may spend more than $12 billion per year on ads created to pull in the youth market. Because young children do not understand the actions of advertisers, they will eat the fatty foods without knowing it could harm them. The advertising leads to poor health and poor health leads to a greater demand on the countries health care system thus adversely affecting the economy.  Manipulating, influencing, and persuading students to eat unhealthy food is wrong.

Writing
H/W: Write out the counterargument for either your sports essay or your 1:1 computing essay. You must give this to the class (in small groups) in the format of a short speech! 
Due: Wed
Reading 
Don't forget 15mins of Membean practice for tomorrow. Remember - I can check how long you are on for!

How effectively do you speak in public?


For Next Tuesday: You will be given the freedom to select which research based argument you would like to argue for your final essay. You must be thinking of a topic that you would like to research. You may get ideas from your parents for a topic to research.
All topics must be approved by me first. 6th grade topics (chocolate milk, gun control etc. ) will not be allowed. Step out of your comfort zones!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Buxton, for next tuesday what type of topic do you recommend? Either could it be something that we are passionate about or something that we want to put a stop to?

Anonymous said...

Well Jessie I think really anything that you are passionate about and maybe what you want to stop. I really like that video. It makes me think about persuasion and also talking in front of groups. I have never been nervous about it but I want to do it more.

Anonymous said...

VIDEO-Do you feel as though you would be able to do this?
Not in a million years. I can do improv to speaking but not read off of a sheet of paper because new things might come to me and then mess me up, but I loved the video, the way she uses great eye contact, logos, and pathos. But, one thing she needs to do is slow down. At one point I could barely understand her. She rushed into sentences. Blaming her, I would never do that because she is speaking in front of hundreds of people. What do we do, we speak in front of 20 people which is not as much. Maybe 900 less. It is still a challenge. I am impressed with her ability to use great vocabulary and to get up there with all of her confidence. All of her confidence is probably Mr. Buxton's C/D block . I would never be able to do this. Would You?
Jessie-C/D block

Anonymous said...

Thanks jordan

Anonymous said...

Wow Jessie :)
I totally agree with you. I do things like that when I talk. I talk and then I have a really good thought that I want to say but that my lead me to another good thought. Sometimes though if I sit down and really plan what I do say and I get all my good thoughts out. I also agree when you said about her confidence. She has great confidence and it seems that she doesn't have another care in the world. I think that this new vocabulary system will help us develop good vocabulary. In a way this could be what we are achieving.

Anonymous said...

In Membean a word that was there was Civil. if Civil means when you are being nice then what was the CIVIL WAR

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips for the argument it really helps.I liked the new way of teaching today doing it then learning what you did wrong. I think you should do that more often.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That is really PECULIAR Jessie. That is a really good question though!

Anonymous said...

I just came across the word civil on membean and I saw that it says being polite or kind AND IT ALSO SAYS that it could refer to citizens in general.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I know Jordan, It is really weird

Anonymous said...

But remember it also says citizens in general so in context the Civil War could be the citizens war

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yeah thanks Jordan, my dad just explained it to me. And quick question, with out looking it up on the internet what does extemporaneous mean? My dad just told me that my grandpa use to use this word everyday. Though it might be fun to learn a very complex word. Just though I might ask this question the fact Jordan and I were talking about vocab.

Anonymous said...

My best guess is that it is kind of like exemplary. Or really superior. I have no clue :)

Anonymous said...

What does it really mean?

Anonymous said...

It means Fake. I found it really weird at first but then it made sense

Anonymous said...

Oh you should use that in context tomorrow :)

Anonymous said...

I used it in the research based argument counterargument paragraph.

Anonymous said...

Good job! I think that it sometimes might be hard to use it in context

Anonymous said...

It is very hard, the fact that it is a very long word

Unknown said...

either jess. the key is that it is easy t o find research.

You will be able to di it by the time we are finished!

Research the root of 'civil' - to truly understand the meaning

civil war (n.) Look up civil war at Dictionary.com
"battles among fellow citizens or within a community," from civil in a sense of "occurring among fellow citizens" attested from late 14c. in batayle ciuile "civil battle," etc. The exact phrase civil war is attested from late 15c. (the Latin phrase was bella civicus).

Anonymous said...

That would have been a smart idea Mr. Buxton. I thought that it would do finding the meaning but know I think I really need to understand the meaning and not just memorize it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mr. Buxton

Anonymous said...

Wait? do I have to present tommorow mr.buxton?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...