Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

Memoir: Identifying Structure and Craft

All classes: DO NOT FORGET YOUR TYPES of SUBJECTS  H/W: Due Monday

C/D class: Add this image to your lesson 2 notes in your digital notebook. I will be checking on Monday! (E/F class- You might want to add this to your notes too. Can you guess why?)

Optional
I'll be reading this w/end. Will you? - Keep a look out for those craft/structure moves you spot in your reading: +1 for each that you share with me (max. 2 plus points)

The Friday Message
Two minutes that should remind you about the only thing that really matters. PERIOD

This video is actually a great way to emphasize the difference between 'telling' an idea and 'showing' one!

Leave a comment about your week: learning/successes/opportunities for growth  etc.- not for a plus point - but because you care :-)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

In RLA, I've already learned WAY more than I did in the first couple months of all my previous grades! I'm really happy with this, and I've also realised that my understanding of powerful writing and the amount of reading I do has rapidly improved by a lot. The things we do with Mr. Buxton is several times more sophisticated than what I've done in my previous years. Yes, it's challenging, but it's well worth it!

Thanks Mr. Buxton for a great year so far.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your kind comment - we haven't even really started yet!

Anonymous said...

I'm reading a memoir called "Boy." I'm not sure if this is a structural move or if it's just a way of organising writing in a memoir, but I've realised I've realised that the author has a way of starting with background information, then going on to describing events in his life in order of when they happened. He also sections the book by stages in his life. The author probably did this so the reader can get a clearer understanding on how his mindset is progressively changing throughout the years,

Unknown said...

+1 very nice Sajid - another +1

Anonymous said...

That video was so powerful

Anonymous said...

In RLA class, I've learned about chunking a sentence. Chunking a sentences allows you to improve each part of a sentence, making your writing a lot better. I also learned about identifying parts of a memoir. I had to read the memoir throughly, then identifying parts such as a transition, change in topic and a fixed mindset. Mr. Buxton has shown me that there is a lot of room for improvement, and I am looking forward to a challenging year ahead!

-Ethan Chng

Unknown said...

+1 Excellent sentence construction Ethan. Did you chunk this sentence before posting? - If you did, this shows how valuable chunking can be for sentence fluency!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Buxton,
I am currently having trouble with the "related words" sections in the Membean note-taking sheet. I am not sure of the antonym of "nomenclature" and "taxonomy."
Thanks!
Zhirou

Unknown said...

skip that section...
remember only - do two sections

Unknown said...

skip that section...
remember only - do two sections

Anonymous said...

I also realised the authors use of using images of letters he wrote to his mom as a unique structural move.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...